LBV focuses in investing in pan-european small and midcap listed equities, usually under a long/short approach.
- We are firm believers in the value of active investment and dedicate most of our time to in-house research, i.e. fundamental analysis of listed equities.
- We focus in small and midcaps . Although we do not have a cut-off size, we believe we add most value in the 100mln – 1bln EUR market cap range. In the current market environment, large funds are becoming larger and larger and cannot invest in this segment due to liquidity constraints. Due to that, research providers also invest less and less resources in the field. As such, there is an increasing number of listed companies that are under-covered and under-researched. At this company size, usually company growth opportunities are more evident and unlocking value through M&A transactions is more likely. Ultimately at LBV we believe we are positioned in the most attractive segment of the equity market.
- We invest mostly in developed Europe. The region is vast enough to provide us with an ample field of researchable companies in all sectors. Proximity to the companies we invest in is crucial as we seek to keep close contact with their management.
- We are style-agnostic. Typically our portfolios will include both top-down and bottom-up generated ideas, as well as value, GARP and growth stocks.
- Our team is nimble and can act fast. Our average holding period is c. 2 years, but dispersion is high. We are agile enough not only to capture long-term stories, but also to seize shorter-term opportunities. Additionally we are generalists, which helps us to rotate from sector to sector according to relative attractiveness or triggered by the emergence of new themes.
- Risk management is a key part of our operations and we have a full set of routines, procedures and controls to ensure that our internal metrics are actively monitored.
- We can tailor the strategy according to our client’s needs. Our flagship fund has had low volatility (historically c. 6%), leading to a very attractive Sharpe ratio in a low interest rate world. We also run managed accounts that usually require the same investment strategy with higher volatility.
- Last but not least, we have a culture of strict ethical principles across all steps of our day-to-day activity.